Thursday 11 August 2016

To be beautiful

I was never her, the girl that fit into society’s definition of beautiful. I look at TV Series, Movies and pictures on the web and find myself seeking to alter a part of my temple so that I can become her. I look at her thinking wow she is beautiful, translating to I am not. We are not taught to love ourselves as we are, to appreciate the beauty in our uniqueness. So I add and alter till I conform, and ultimately hate myself even more as the façade to fit into your world becomes my greatest burden.

 There is a template of ‘black girl’ out there that my mould does not seem to conform into. My sometimes well-articulated words have had me called intelligent so I took that to hide the ‘smart-mouthed black woman’ that some may been brave to call me. Yet as expected that mask of intelligence failed me. So maybe my mind was not the answer so I brought it down to my heart and expressed my heart and felt at the title ‘angry black woman’. Of course another point to add to my archives of failures. My body I knew to never be the answer for ‘ugly black woman’ I had already claimed.

So, what does it mean to be beautiful?
What does it mean to be black?

The colour of my skin should truly and completely not mean a thing, but it does. It has scared and shaped me and has done even worse to history. Being black, being female has always left in awe:

“For a black girl you really speak English well….”
“For a black girl you really are smart…”
“For a black girl you really are beautiful…”

Why have the lines been drawn?
When will it be okay for me to be me?
Who gets to choose whether or not I can be defined as beautiful?

These questions are not mine, these are ours. You beautiful black girl, who wants to be the first in your family to go to university; you who has fallen in love with someone of outside of your race; you who wants more out of your life than only being someone’s than someone.

Powerful, Beautiful, Smart black girl these are your questions.  

Inspired by Viola Davis




No comments

Post a Comment

© A Journey of Greatness
Maira Gall