Thursday 2 January 2014

It is a New Year, again

I made a decision, a long time ago never to live an average life, and you know sometimes I feel like I am, but I now that I am not. I know the choices that I have made have not been average since I made that decision. Although I have made “average decisions”, I have tried my best to be intentional about it.

So with this New Year, I have not thought about making New Year’s resolutions I haven’t made plans different from the one I have already made. During the end of a year and the beginning you hear people make a list of resolutions; I haven’t really read any reports of how those resolutions went. Then there are my favourite people who say 'NO I am not making any resolutions this year'. I don’t know why they don’t make any resolutions, but I do have an idea of why I don’t sometimes set any goals for myself or make decisions of my own. It’s because I am afraid; I am reminded of the past, when I did set goals and didn't accomplish them, I then think “what will be different this time”.

But (yes I just started a sentence with but), I am inclined to think about people around the world who have achieved greatness, those with humble beginnings and interesting situations; who have risen above their circumstances and achieved much more. They didn't do it without failure and disappointment; great minds got kicked out of/quit prestigious schools, peacemakers have been involved in violence, political figures involved in scandals, but are still seen for their greatness and you ask ‘how?’.

This reminds me of my favourite quote by Marianne Williamson called our deepest fear, there is a line that reads “We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.” That last line it gets me, we all have the potential to be great, the question is do we have the heart?

It’s not whether if we can, but whether if we want to?


I sit here thinking to myself do I want to? I DO. I KNOW THAT I DO, but sometimes I fail at things and see others progressing and ask myself why aren't I? I’m not there because I can’t; it’s just that this part of my journey is different. 

Sometimes your journey of greatness is having to do what is right even thou people think it is extremely wrong; sometimes it is having to pray when you are not even believing in God at that moment. Our journey of greatness is a difficult one and they cannot all be the same cause it’s not greatness if it is.

1 comment

© A Journey of Greatness
Maira Gall